Even though many people believe it is too difficult to learn and do yoga positions, yoga can give you countless physical and mental benefits.
You can start doing yoga with some simple positions and then gradually practice it.
Viparita Karani is a great start in Yoga.
This is a very simple pose that you can perform and it is also called as the Inverted Lake Pose or Legs up the Wall pose. This can help you with pain and tightness relief, reduced anxiety, and relaxation.
There are some of the variations in this pose and you can learn them depending on your abilities. You will work deeper into the poses and start doing even more complicated ones, by performing them regularly.
- Legs straight up the wall version
First of all, you should lie on the back, with the buttock against the wall, and the legs extended straight up the wall, hip distance apart. The soles should be faced upward, and the arms beside the body or folded across the chest.
- Legs in a wide “V” version
You should start same as the previous position. But in this pose, you have to spread the legs into a wider V formation to stretch the groin area.
- Soles together version
You can turn the knees outward, out the soles of the feet together, and press the legs against the wall for an even more intense groin stretch. You should also move slowly as this is an intense stretch.
- Advanced version
You just only have to perform this when you are ready for it as this is a far more advanced version of the first pose. Stop immediately, if you feel any discomfort or pain.
If you practice Viparita Karani, you’ll get more benefits as follows,
- Increased blood flow and reduced inflammation
- Increase the blood flow and circulation through the entire body
- Reduce the swelling in the legs
- Fighting inflammation
- In the case of pregnancy
- Relaxation and lowered stress
- Boosts blood flow
- Relieves pain
- Relaxes the body
- Stimulates the parasympathetic nervous system to relax and avoid the “flight or fight mode”
- Fights inflammation
- Treats chronic pain and tension
- Improves sleep
- Improved hamstring mobility and relieved lower back pain
- Stretched the hamstrings, which cause lower back pain when shortened due to prolonged hours of sitting
- Elongated them and reduces the pressure on the lower back
Even though it is highly benefited it also can pose serious risks of neck and back issues. Avoid the pose if you suffer from these problems. But you can try them with your physiotherapist or certified instructor.
This can also cause eye conditions like glaucoma as it is an inversion. Remember to avoid it during your periods.
In the end, we can conclude that Viparita Karani is a simple way to boost blood flow, relieve pain, and relax the body and mind, and lower stress. If you want to have these benefits practice it regularly.